Citizens Advice Bureau



Access to medical records

Extent: Jersey
Updated 19 August 2015

Words you may need to know

Medical -  relating to your health or wellbeing

Absolute - complete

Certain exemptions - certain reasons why not

Accessed - being allowed to have copies of or see

Data Protection Law (Jersey) Law, 2005 - there is the ability under this law to see information that is held about you and to ask for it to be corrected if it is not correct.  This is called a subject access request and you should talk to the Office of the Information Commissioner.  Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Tel: +44 (0)1534 716530

Medical notes - doctor's

As a patient, you  do not have an absolute right to see doctor's notes. Legally GP's notes are the property of the GP (in the UK they are the property of the NHS).

Health and Social Care records

Health and Social Care records are the property of the Health and Social Services Department. Subject to certain exemptions, they can be accessed by patients and clients of Social Services. See 10.6.0(B)

See also 7.28.0 Data Protection Law (Jersey) Law, 2005