Citizens Advice Bureau



Accidents involving animals

Extent: Jersey
Updated 18 November 2013

Reportable accidents involving animals

1  Accidents involving animals should be reported to the police immediately, for the purposes of the law such animals are horses, cattle, asses, mules, sheep, pigs, goats and dogs. Cats and poultry do not count.

Animals on roads or straying onto other property

2  Dogs must be fitted with an identity tag and the owners must have a licence. They should be kept on a lead when within the town ring road.

3  In Jersey the owner of animals is not required to ensure that they are securely fenced in, the onus is on adjoining landowners to fence their property to keep animals out.


3  Some household policies cover pet liability if no specific pet insurance is held.

4  Farmers should hold public liability cover.

5  Horses are normally covered in household policies (although better to have specific insurance). If car driver has fully comprehensive insurance, then the insurance company will pursue a claim against the horse owner/rider. If the car driver has only third party insurance then s/he will have to pursue the claim her/himself.