Citizens Advice Bureau

Housing, Land & Property Law

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Boundaries - "Relief" ( 11.8.54.L1 )
Clameur de Haro ( 4.6.0.L10 )
Control of Housing and Work Law Housing Status ( 11.5.0. )
Establishing ownership of property ( 11.8.52.L7 )
Eviction Proceedings ( 11.12.12 )
House Purchase - removal of goods ( 11.1.30.L4 )
Housing Regulations and Property ( 11.6.0 )
Housing Status - Methods of proving residence ( 11.5.0.L5 )
Joint ownership of property ( 11.1.54. )
Joint purchase / leasing ..... Married and unmarried ( 11.5.0.L12 )
Land measurements in Jersey ( 11.1.50.L5 )
Life enjoyment of property - "Usufruct" (11.5.20)
Lodgers and the Law ( 11.1.8.L4 )
Parish Rates and Appeals Procedure ( 11.8.40. )
Personal possessions left behind by a tenant or lodger ( 11.8.2 )
Purchase of Freehold Property (11.1.30.L2)
Purchase of property - Flying freehold ( 11.1.30.L7 )
Purchase of property - Share Transfer ( 11.1.30.L6 )
Registration of Tourism Properties / Keeping Records ( 11.8.0 )
Residential Statuses (11.5.0.L6)
Residential Tenancy Law / Agreements / Regulations and Orders / Condition Reports ( 11.1.14. )
Restrictive Covenants ( 11.8.54 )
Stamp duty on property purchase/transfer and death ( 11.1.50 )
Status of occupiers - ( 11.5.0.L7 )
Statutory Nuisances (Jersey) Law 1999 ( 11.8.52.L2 )
Three month exemption rule (11.1.15)
To obtain a copy of house deeds ( 11.1.50.L2 )
Transfer or Jersey realty into joint names ( 11.1.30.L5 )


Statutory Nuisances (Jersey) Law 1999

    Extent: Jersey
    Updated 19 April 2012


What does the law cover

The law protects neighbours affected by smells, noise and other nuisances.

Who administers the law

The law gives Health and Social Services a duty to investigate and stop nuisances in private homes, industrial, trade or business premises.

Officers from the Environmental Health Department at Maison Le Pape will administer the law and serve abatement notices on behalf of the Minister for Health and Social Services.


An appeals procedure will be put in place for those who have been served an abatement notice and feel that it is not justified.

Problems with noise due to lack of insulation

The Department is not able to take action regarding noise nuisance caused by lack of insulation, for instance in a house converted into flats if the noise is 'day-to-day' noise rather than loud music or DIY. Day-to-day noise would be toilets flushing, normal level of television, people walking about and closing doors (rather than slamming them). This applies to properties built or converted prior to 1997.

Guidelines on noise control for construction sites

The Environmental Health Department has produced a booklet on this subject which is available from Citizens Advice Jersey.

The normal business hours which the Department would be likely to require from a building site are:-

  • 8.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday
  • 8.00am to 1.00pm Saturday with no working on Sundays or Bank Holidays.

Further details

Clients should be referred to the Environmental Health Department - telephone 445808