Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:




Divorce - Portuguese Nationals

Extent: Jersey
Updated 21 June 2019


 Words you may need to know


National – someone who holds entitlement or a passport to live in a country or was born in a country or became a citizen of that country.

How to get a divorce in Portugal if living in Jersey

If you are a Portuguese national who was married in Jersey, you should have arranged for the marriage to be registered in Portugal as is required by Portuguese Law.

After getting a decree absolute you should take both the decree absolute and decree nisi to the Portuguese consulate so that the documents can be translated into Portuguese and duly approved by the Portuguese Consul.

You will need to employ a lawyer in Portugal to act for you in order to apply to the District Court for an action known as 'Revisaõ de sentença estrangeira'.

The Court in Portugal will look at the documentation granting the divorce in Jersey and decide whether to recognise the divorce in Portugal.

According to the Portuguese Consulate in Jersey this whole process of the divorce being recognised in Portugal can take up to two years.