Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:



Maintenance and separation

   Extent: Jersey
   Updated 20 December 2018


Words you may need to know

Maintenance – money given to support a partner, children or spouse

Spouse - Husband / Wife

Voluntary - doing something without being made to

Separation – parting from one another or not living together

Deserted – left the family home, left the partner

Enforced -  made to happen

Interim –  in-between or temporary

Affidavit – a sworn statement and you swear the information is correct

Variation – a change

Adultery -  one partner or another enters a new relationship with someone else

What is maintenance?

Maintenance is money that is given by one partner to the other, or to children, to meet their living needs. It is to cover, food clothing and other things necessary to live. When the Court decides who has to give what, it is written in what is called a maintenance order.

Who can get maintenance?

Under the Separation and Maintenance Orders (Jersey) Law 1953, as amended, either partner in a marriage or civil partnership,  can apply to the Petty Debts Court for a maintenance order for themselves or a child of the marriage or civil partnership. The amount awarded will take into account how much both partners' earn and their financial situations.

How to get maintenance

When a married couple separate the husband or wife may carry on supporting the other party and any children freely. If not, or if the agreement does not cover the family's needs, they can get a maintenance order through the Petty Debts Court.

You don't have to get legal advice to get a maintenance order, although it is better to if there has been actual or threatened violence, housing problems, or planned divorce. Legal Aid may be available in these situations depending on your circumstances.

Voluntary agreements

The benefit of voluntary maintenance agreements is that both parties can keep on good terms and it is easier to give more or less if things change. A husband or wife is usually aware of how much it costs to keep the family, but when separate accommodation and living expenses are needed, that can cause can cause financial/ money problems.

The drawback of a voluntary agreement is that it can't be enforced by the court. The payments may stop at any time, or drop down, and the only thing the other party can do is to get a maintenance order. Also, it may be difficult to prove payments for income tax purposes.

Separation and Maintenance Orders

A Separation and Maintenance Order may be applied for by either party to a marriage for the following reasons.

The party:

  • Has failed to provide reasonable maintenance for the applicant/ other person;
  • Has failed to provide, or make proper contribution towards reasonable maintenance for any child of the marriage;
  • Has behaved in such a way that the applicant cannot reasonably be expected to live with him or her; or
  • Has deserted the applicant.

That can be read as;

  • The other person has not given the person applying enough money to live on
  • The other person has not given enough money or any money to look after the child/ren
  • The other person has behaved so badly that the person applying can't continue to live with them
  • The other person has left them

The Petty Debts Court may make an order or more than one order that has all or any of the following arrangements:


  • that the person applying no longer needs to live with the person they married;
  • a Residence Order which says who the child/ren (under sixteen) will live with. (See 08.30.40 for more information);
  • that one person will pay to the other a weekly sum of money for the needs of the person and any child/ren until the child/ren reach sixteen or finish full time education. The order won't insist that any money is given for children over the age of 21, even if they are still in education.
  •  that either the husband or wife has to leave the home they share within a set time ; and
  • that, if the Landlords to the property agree, the lease if it is held by the person leaving be transferred to the other person staying.

How to apply for a Separation and Maintenance Order

It is better to get legal advice (through Legal Aid if you qualify) to get a Court Order.

You will have to give a statement of what money/ property/ things you have and reasons for the separation, which will be heard in the Petty Debts Court at the Wednesday hearings. Usually the cases are left until last after a short break which is held to clear the Courtroom, so that the case can be heard in private.

There are two types or order:


Interim Order: Can be applied for straight away while waiting for a divorce so that the person can live (but not to settle who has child/ren and when the other person can see them). No proof is needed and often the other party does not have a lawyer. The Court will often award a token payment (such as £15 per week) until the case comes back to Court with both parties legally represented. The Court will decide on how much the weekly maintenance should be based on what is called the "affidavits of means" both people have given. An affidavit of means lists everything the person owns and what their outgoings are; how much they need to live on.

Often the lawyers representing will have already reached an agreement for an amount of money which the Court approves.

An Interim Order only lasts for three months and must be renewed if necessary. Sometimes Interim Orders are asked for all the time so that evidence does not have to be given to the Court.


Final Order: Roughly ten such orders are applied for per year at the Petty Debts Court. They cover maintenance, who has the child/ren and/or access to child/ren until child/ren reach sixteen years.  Final  Orders can be challenged in Court, as evidence has to be brought of the state of the marriage, and both husband and wife appear as witnesses.

How is the maintenance paid

The person receiving it can ask that maintenance money is paid in cash, or via a bank account, regardless of whether the agreement is voluntary or as the result of a Court Order. Payment may be weekly or monthly, although the amount is usually worked out per week.

It may be easier for the maintenance to be paid through someone else, for instance the Viscount's Department if the husband and wife are not on good terms and don't talk. Sometimes the Court will suggest that, even if it is not asked for.

The Court may order that payments are to be made to the Viscount's Department (as 'Officers of the Court') on behalf of the person applying. These payments are always ordered to be made weekly. If these payments are not made, the applicant can ask the Viscount's Department to get the money on their behalf.

If the Court has ordered payments to be made to the Viscount's Department, but they are being made direct to the person, then the Viscount will ask the Court to change the order so that it says what is happening.

An amendment to the Maintenance Orders (Enforcement) (Jersey) Law 1999 was agreed by the States in November 2006, which gives the Royal Court or the Petty Debts Court the power to take money out from (of up to no more than half of) the wages of the person having to pay when the order is granted.

How much maintenance will be paid

Each person's situation is different with their own circumstances. The Separation and Maintenance Orders (Jersey) Law 1953 as amended has rules giving the most that the Petty Debts Court can order to be paid weekly under the Law as follows:

Amount per week:
Maximum sum of money for the person applying  £200 
Maximum for each child  £100

Larger amounts may be agreed between parties through their lawyers.

What are the income tax effects?

The duty is on the taxpayer to send details of all maintenance orders to Tax at Customer and Local Services  as proof that the orders have been approved. The couples will say what amounts are being paid or received on their tax returns, and these can then be confirmed.

Voluntary agreements drafted and signed at lawyers' offices are also considered to have been approved, and the taxpayer should send evidence of the agreement to the department on a special form for the purpose.

Informal agreements which have been entered into may result in problems when the parties try to claim allowance for tax, as there is no evidence to offer. It might therefore be necessary to have an agreement drawn up by a lawyer.

The income tax allowance for a child/ren can be shared between the parents on the basis of how much each person is paying/receiving.

Maintenance payments are paid gross which means without any tax taken off.  Please click here for information on maintenance relief for income tax.


What happens if maintenance is not paid?

If the payer fails to pay maintenance the payee should seek legal assistance to recover the unpaid maintenance. This would require the payer to be summonsed to appear either at the Petty Debts Court or the Royal Court, where an arrest on wages order might be made, or an arrest and sale of personal property ordered if the payer is self-employed, or unemployed.


What if the other person lives outside Jersey?

If the other person lives in the UK, a maintenance order which is given in the Jersey Courts can be enforced in the UK. You will need to get legal advice about how to do this.

If they live in another country, it should be possible to get a maintenance order in that country through a Jersey lawyer.

If a wife and children plan to move to Jersey from the UK or another country where the husband is living it would be wise to get a maintenance order in that place (depending how soon the move would take place), and then have it registered in Jersey.

What if the husband lives in Jersey and the wife lives in or moves to the UK or another country?

A maintenance order can be taken out in the UK and then enforcement applied for in Jersey. This is made through the Judicial Greffe.

There are some countries which have special agreements with Jersey. They are called Reciprocal Agreements and it means that they will carry out each other's court orders.

A wife living outside the UK or in a country which the States have declared to be a reciprocating country can get a Court Order in that country, and have it registered in Jersey. If the wife leaves Jersey having got a Jersey maintenance order, she must apply to the Court in Jersey if she wishes the order to be changed at any time. She should contact the Registrar, Family Division at the Judicial Greffe.

Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders

Reciprocal enforcement means that countries which have entered into an agreement will make sure that orders made in their country can be used or enforced in the other country. Enforced means given the force of the law.

Maintenance orders made by a Jersey Court are able to be enforced in countries such as England, Scotland, Portugal, Poland, Australia, Italy and Ireland and maintenance orders made in those countries can be enforced in Jersey. The law and rules can be found on the Jersey legal information web site under the Maintenance Orders (Facilities for Enforcement) (Jersey) Law 2000.

The law and the rules with them set out how to go about forcing maintenance orders in countries and places that are parties to the 1973 Hague Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Decisions relating to Maintenance obligations. France, Portugal, Ireland and Poland are parties to this convention, as are many of the states within The United States of America.

There are also ways of forcing maintenance orders made in Jersey and countries and territories that are convention countries under the UN Convention on the Recovery Abroad of Maintenance. These include Australia, France, Poland and Portugal.

Payment of money for the maintenance of a child may also include payment for a child's education.

You can find out how to get a maintenance order or how to enforce it from the Registrar, Family Division, Royal Court.

For the enforcement in England of Jersey Maintenance orders you will need to give the Registrar, Family Division the following:-

1. A list of payments made and the last date, if any, of when you received payment. You may be asked for proof.

2. A copy of the order giving you the maintenance which will then be approved by the Court.

3. An affidavit (which is a sworn statement) by you giving as much of the following information as you can:-

  • what your financial position is (how much money / debt or outgoings  you have )
  • the full name and address of the respondent (the person you claim owes the money)
  • the respondent's financial circumstances, including the name and address of any employer of the respondent, his occupation, his telephone number, his description and, if possible, a photograph (everything you know about what he has, where he works and lives, what he looks like and any contact details )
  • when and where their passport was issued
  • and any other information about their finances that may be important (such as has just inherited money, won on the pools/ horses etc)
  • name and address, including any bank details as to where the payments should be sent

4. Marriage certificate (if you were married) and birth certificates of the child/ren (certified copies are acceptable). A certified copy is one which a lawyer has signed to say that they have seen the original one and this is a true copy.

What happens if things change?

There may be things that happen which can affect a Separation and Maintenance Order:

  • the people concerned start to live together again
  • one of the parties commits adultery
  • children reach the age of 16 (or 21 if the order has been extended).

See 8.27.10.L11 Maintenance Order - applying for a variation.

Either party to the order may ask the Court to change or stop the order if financial circumstances change.

What happens if the couple decide to divorce?

At some stage either party may decide to start divorce proceedings as long as:


  • there are the right grounds or they have been separated for long enough
  • the couple have been married for three years
  • the couple live in Jersey, or, if the wife is the person taking the action, she lives in Jersey or has lived in Jersey for the past three years

A Separation and Maintenance Order can be very helpful in agreeing what might be necessary for a divorce order. An order will be made by the Court for maintenance to continue after divorce.