Registration of Tourism Properties / Keeping Records ( 11.8.0 )


Registration of Tourism Properties – Tourism (Jersey) Law 1948

Keeping Records - Immigration (Hotel Records) (Jersey) Order 1999


Extent:       Jersey
Updated:    October 2017 


Words You May Need to Know

Register – an official record

Keeper – the person who runs the accommodation which is paid for (see law for full definition)

Premises – buildings or land (here the hotel, guesthouse, self-catering unit, hostel or campsite or any other accommodation that is provided for reward)  

EEA national – someone who comes from a country which is a member of the European Economic Area 

Lodgings - accommodation, housing, digs

Lodger – someone who pays for accommodation but has no tenancy rights



Registration of Tourist Accommodation 

See:  Tourism (Jersey) Law 1948


Any property used as a hotel, guest-house, self-catering unit, hostel or campsite must be registered as tourist accommodation.


For how to register a property as tourist accommodation and the conditions that must be satisfied and fees paid see:



Keeping a Register of people who stay at the premises


The keeper of any registered tourist accommodation must keep a register of all the people or guests who stay at the premises, even just for one night. The details of what must be recorded on the register can be found in the  Immigration (Hotel Records)(Jersey) Order 1999.

The following is a brief summary of the registration requirements for guests but for advice please contact:


Immigration Office

Customer and Local Services, Phillip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE4 8PE


Tel: 01534 447979

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Registration Guide for premises registered

Anyone over the age of 16 who arrives to stay at premises (whether furnished or unfurnished) where they have to pay for food or sleeping accommodation has to tell the keeper as soon as they arrive their full name and nationality.


If the person is not an EEA national they also have to tell the keeper:

- the number and place of issue of their passport, certificate of registration or other
  document establishing their identity and nationality

- the full address where they normally live

- on or before they leave the premises, the person must tell the keeper where they are
  going next and, if they know it, the full address.


The keeper has a duty to make sure that everyone staying at the premises obeys the law.


The keeper must keep a record in writing for a period of at least twelve months of all the information about every one who has arrived to stay.


A police or immigration officer or any other person given permission by the Minister for Home Affairs must be allowed to check the keeper’s register at any time.




For details about Registered lodging houses / Unregistered lodgings


See:    11.1.8.L4 Lodgers and the Law


Lodgers and Lodging Houses  11.8.10


For the laws see: