Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:


Credit reference agencies ( 13.3.4 )



Credit reference agencies


Extent:           Jersey

Updated:        6 February 2020


Words you may need to know

Credit rating – an estimate of somebody’s ability to pay their debts which is based on the way a person has paid back debts in the past eg paid off mortgage, credit or store card instalments

Taken in error – if a decision is made based on wrong information

Set aside – here, cancelled, removed

Judgement – here, decision of a court

Creditor – person who is owed money

Receipt – a written proof that something has been paid

Specific – relating to one thing in particular eg here, a debt for one thing , not an amount towards several debts

Electoral role – having your name on the official list of people entitled (qualified) to vote


What is a credit reference agency (‘CRA’) ?

A credit reference agency is an organisation that collects information about people’s credit rating and supplies this information to banks, finance organisations, retailers etc . The information is provided so that if an organisation is going to lend money to someone eg to buy a car, get a mortgage etc  they can make their own decision about whether they think the person will be able to pay back the loan.

Where do credit reference agencies get their information?

Credit reference agencies use Court Judgements to build their files on individuals. In Jersey these judgements are published in the Jersey Business Brief, and are also available for inspection in the Court Registry. This is why it is important to make sure that judgements taken in error are set aside by the Court. The Court Registry is at the Magistrate's Court Union Street, St Helier. It is open during the lunch period.

How long is a judgement held on a 'Blacklist'?

A judgment is kept on record for a period of ten years in Jersey and is enforceable during that time.  A judgment is kept on record for a period of six years in the UK, Guernsey and Isle of Man.  If a debt is paid, written proof should be obtained from the creditor and this can be noted on the file.

What happens if the judgement was the result of a dispute?

If the reason for non-payment of money was due to a dispute such as faulty workmanship, it should be possible to ask the CRA to add a note on file to explain this.


There are a number of CRA organisations


Channel Islands Data Services

This is an On-line credit reference and debt recovery service.

For details see:

Channel Islands Data Services Limited

PO Box 379

Third Floor

4 Market Street

St Peter Port



Channel Islands


Telephone: +44 (0) 1481 713050




Credit reference agencies in United Kingdom

Everyone has a right to see their credit files and correct any mistakes. The following companies are based in the United Kingdom. Each have websites with advice on how they can help and what you need to do.

Send each agency a £2 cheque or postal order, your full name and address and date of birth together with a list your addresses for the past six years.

Say that you are applying under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

If it contains false information, you can ask for it to be changed.

Letters should be sent to:

Registry Trust Limited

153-157 Cleveland Street




United Kingdom



Telephone:      +44 (0) 2073800133

Email:             This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Experian Limited

Consumer Support Centre

PO Box 9000


NG80 7WF                            




Telephone :     0344 481 0800



Equifax Ltd

Customer Service Centre

PO Box 10036


LE3 4FS                                 




 Telephone :  0845 603 6772


Callcredit Ltd

Consumer Services Team

PO Box 491


LS3 1WZ                               




 Telephone:  0330 024 7579


Sometimes credit information may be refused when UK credit reference agencies are not aware that you are on a Channel Islands electoral role. This is because they do not get information about Channel Islands electoral roles in the same way they get details of UK ones.  If you find that your record does not include your electoral role information you can get it added - see leaflet from the Office of the Data Commissioner here.