Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:


Export of vehicles to the UK (2.7.4.L4)


2.7.4. L4
Export of vehicles from Jersey to UK

Extent:      Jersey
Updated:   8 June 2020


Words you may need to know

Vehicle - a motor car, lorry, van used for transporting goods or people or anything that runs on the road and requires to be registered

Re- register/ Registered - details given of the vehicle to an authority so information of the vehicle and the owner can be known

Export - send overseas

Export date - the date the vehicle left Jersey

Permanently - forever, not expecting to change

Declare/ declared - tell, notify

Port of entry - the harbour / airport you enter or exit a country from

VAT- Value Added Tax - this is a tax which is payable on most items in the UK

Gauged – worked out; assessed


If you are moving to the UK, this is what you have to do if taking your vehicle.


If moving to the UK as a resident / staying longer than six months, you must re-register your vehicle.

How to do it

  • Cancel the current registration of your vehicle at the Driver and Vehicle Standards Department at La Collette, St Helier.

    If the vehicle is to be permanently exported the registration document, VRD1, must be filled out on the
    reverse and given back to the DVS in Jersey no later than 7 days after the export date. You will be given a 'Certificate of Export'.

  • Declare the vehicle on arriving in the UK at the harbour so that a Customs clearance form is given to you.


  • The vehicle must be registered as soon as possible in the area where you are going to be staying. If you are the owner, you must be able to give:-
    • 'Certificate of Origin'
    • 'MOT' for cars over 3 years old
    • British insurance certificate
    • Customs clearance form, if you were given one at port of entry.


Is VAT payable?

Full details on whether VAT is payable is available on the UK Government website here - 

If the vehicle is sold, VAT has to be paid on the sale price (the new registration document will be stamped to say this).

If VAT is due, it is payable on the car's value which is gauged from the vehicle's sales invoice, or UK 'book' price. The book price is the car industry's book of tables for the value of a car of a certain age and condition.

The vehicle must be declared in the Red Channel at the port of entry, if there are Customs' officers there, and payment made by cash or cheque. Credit Cards are not accepted. If an ordinary bank cheque is used, no clearance document will be given for ten days to make sure that the cheque clears, but the car may be driven away.

If there is no Customs' official present on the docks, the owner should drive home and contact the nearest Customs and & Excise Advice Centre as soon as possible.

Further information regarding importing a vehicle into the UK can be found on