Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:



Consumer complaints - Electricians

Extent: Jersey
Updated 11 August 2020

Words you may need to know

Consumer – someone who buys something (goods) or services such as hairdressing or taxis.

Statutory rights – these are rights you have under the law.

Self - employed – this means that someone works for himself or herself and not for a company or someone else.

Contractor – is someone you enter into a contract or agreement with to do something or supply something for you in exchange for payment of some kind (usually money).  

Suspend – if you are suspended it means that you are not allowed to be a member of a group or act in a post (role) for the length of time the suspension lasts. It also means that you cannot take part in any activities of the group or do any work relating to the post during that period of time.

Expel – this means that your post or membership ends immediately.  

For information on your statutory rights when buying goods and services see 13.1.0.L1 Consumer Complaints


Jersey Electrical Contractors' Association

Many electricians and electrical contractors belong to the Jersey Electrical Contractors' Association (JECA).

The secretary can be contacted on 722888


The members appoint some of their members to run the affairs of the Association. This group of people are called the Executive Committee.

Complaints about members of the Association

If you have a complaint about a job carried out by a member of the JECA you should write to The Secretary, c/o JMEC Ltd, Ingouville House, Ingouville Lane, St Helier, JE2 4SG setting out the nature of the complaint and attaching copies of all paperwork which is related to the complaint. E-mail address: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enThe Executive Committee of the JECA will call a meeting and ask their member to attend.

If your complaint is upheld, the member must do what the Executive Committee decide is reasonable to put matters right if they want to stay a member.

The Executive Committee have powers to suspend or expel members but they can’t force a member to do what they have said as they have no rights in law to do that.

Certificate of Completion and Inspection

If you have had electrical work done on your property you should ask for a Certificate of Completion and Inspection when the work is finished. The original Certificate will have been sent to the electricity supplier (JEC) after testing of the System, as is required by the Building Bye Laws.