Citizens Advice Bureau Jersey

Our advice is available in the following ways:




 Public Entertainment Licences

  Extent:       Jersey

 Updated:    22 August 2019


Words you may need to know


Public entertainment  - entertainment that is open to the public to go to. This covers anything the public might attend such as boxing matches, films, theatre, charity fundraisers etc

Venue a place

Permit an official permission

Existing permit a permission that has been given already and is still valid

Panel - a group of people brought together to make a decision about things


If you want to organise and hold any public entertainment in Jersey you are likely to need a permit known as a Public Entertainment Permit. These permits are issued by the Bailiff and to get one you need to apply to the Bailiff’s Chambers.

Venues that offer entertainment regularly throughout the year are likely to have an annual permit which covers them to hold entertainment throughout the year. If you are planning to hold an event at a venue that has an annual permit you may not need one of your own. However, you must check the terms of the venue’s existing permit to make sure your event qualifies. If in doubt seek advice from the Bailiff’s Chambers.

Depending on the type of event you are holding your application may be considered by a panel which is made up of representatives from the

- States of Jersey Police

- Jersey Fire and Rescue Service

- Ambulance Service

- Health and Safety Inspectorate

- Public Health Department.


This panel meets about once a month and advises the Bailiff about safety matters that may arise in the community because of the event. 

Detailed information about the things you need to consider when organizing a public event can be found on the website:

 Also on the website are copies of application forms to download that you may need.

The site includes information about:

- Permission to hold a public event

- One-off  Public Entertainment events

- The application process – including selling alcohol at an event

- Busking

- Walks, cycle rides, bed pushes and other events

- Permission to hold an event in a park  

For further information contact:

 Bailiff’s Chambers, Royal Square, St Helier Jersey JE1 1BA

 T   01534 441100                   F   01534 441137                    E   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 Open: Monday to Thursday 8.45am - 1pm and 2pm - 5.15pm

             Friday 8.45am - 1pm and 2pm - 4.45pm



 For information about

  •   Advertising banners for events and
  •   Collecting Money for Charity at a Public Event